Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lost in Transition--a self diagnosis

Things people commonly discuss with me:

“Are you excited to be leaving soon?” Yes!

“Are you packing yet?” Some.

“Is Domenic excited?” Of course.

“Will you be coming home for Christmas?” That’s the plan.

“Is your sister planning on visiting?” In November.

“What about Domenic’s dad?” I sure hope so!

“Is Domenic’s dad supportive?” Surprisingly so.

“Anyone else visiting?” A small handful.

“Do you have any reservations about going?” Not a one.

“Aren’t you scared?” Should I be?

“How long is your contract?” Two years.

“You must really be stressed out and on OVERload.” I don’t really feel like I’m on overload.

Well then you must be in D.E.N.I.A.L…..(which I’ve heard many times by many people)

I surround myself with good company and when friends talk, I tend to listen. Am I really in denial? The question has caused me to think back 7 months ago when I was hired for this job. Since that time, every waking moment has been either talking about India, writing about India, filling out forms related to India or thinking about India. And while I enjoy this---after all it IS my dream to teach overseas---it leaves little time to focus on the here-and-now. This probably explains why I have been spending more and more time looking for my lost “to-do” lists than anything else. And when I do stumble upon these treasures, I’m appalled at the things written on the list----go to store (really?), write lesson plans (how sad), write list of questions needing answers from the school in India (a list to make a list!), check P.O. box (this one should be tattooed on me…even a list doesn’t work….by the time I get around to checking the mail I usually have to put my foot on the wall in order to gain enough leverage to yank out everything that is crammed in there, only to throw the shredded and torn mess away).

From here on out, I’m going to do SOMEthing and THEN write it on a list and cross it out so I feel more accomplished.

I really don’t think I’m in denial but I do think I’m lost in transition and until I’m in India I will be kind to myself and strive only for mediocrity.

50 days and counting!

6 comments:

  1. I was the same way last year going to China and adopting a child with special needs, especially during H1N1 when they were putting people in quarantine. You will get lots of weird comments and questions. People care, but sometimes they say things that they mean well, but they don't get it. If you aren't worried and you are at peace, then you will be just fine! Just do a bit at a time. It will become more real the closer you get. You aren't in denial--you are well prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't mind any of the questions I get or answering any of them....it's fine with me! What has become almost comical is how forgetful I have become. Sheesh. I'm glad you have faith in my preparation. Your a good friend. ;)I'm as prepared as I can be but even then it will be a true adventure full of surprises. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to love it. It am positive it will be one the most amazing experiences of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized that I posted the comment from John's account. Sorry - Kathi G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This experience will be amazing for you and Dom, most people are just scared of change. I get the itch to move every three years, the military and multiple moves will do that to you. I love the excitement of a new place, especially overseas, I spent ten years overseas at three different bases and even if I didn't completely love everyday, I appreciated the experience and in the end I had even more respect and love for the hosting country and for the US. We moved back to the States a year ago and we miss being overseas, the only good thing about being in the States is being closer to family, but we love living in interesting places and so do my kids. My daughters miss England just as much as we do, enjoy India and travel as much as you can, you will miss the US while you're there and when you leave you'll miss India...I can't wait to read the updates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is amazing and Grant and I can't wait to follow you on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete