Saturday, May 1, 2010

Departing July 25!!!

Well, it's official. Domenic and I will be leaving for Chennai the morning of July 25---door to door it will take over 30 hours to get there. Where was the map when I accepted this job? The school is kind enough to be sending “someone” to pick us up. I know it’s true because I read it in the fine print of the paperwork. How will we know who that “someone” is? They will be holding a sign with my name—yes, MY name. Just like in the movies. The problem with this (in Domenic’s eyes)….what about HIS name? For those of you who know Domenic well I’m sure you are shaking your head in a way that says, “No surprise there”. When I relayed this story to the head of school he responded with, “I’m making a special note in your file to not only include Domenic’s name, but to write it first. We like to keep our young constituents happy”. This guy is obviously a professional. Domenic is feeling much more at ease about the shuttle service to our new home.
When I was asked to pick an area of Chennai that I’d like to live in, I chose a section based solely on the likelihood of me being able to pronounce--at some point over the two years-- and remember. That way when I’m lost and someone asks where I live---in a language I can’t understand anyway-- I can actually tell them. As it turns out, no apartments are available in those sections---I guess great minds think alike. Instead we are living in an area near the beach, about 10 minutes from the school, and spelled with 13 letters….only 3 more letters than my last name. Should be doable.

3 comments:

  1. The apartment and the school both look VERY nice--must be in a wealthy part of India. looking forward to reading more of your adventures as they happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for your adventure to start. You will have an amazing time. No worries about saying the name of the area. It took us months to say where we live. LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, your last name was always a challenge. Which is why we still refer to you as Miss Kindergarten.
    Try not to get lost.

    ReplyDelete