Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Paperwork, Lines, Cell Phones, and Laughs

I think it goes with out saying that life in India is much different than back at home. This country LOVES paperwork and lines. Forget about the days of writing out a tidy TO-DO list and feeling the joy of crossing each completed task off. Not going to happen in India--EVER. You're lucky if you get one thing accomplished in a day. How can that be? Because this country LOVES paperwork and lines and most things defy logic--THAT you can count on.

CELL PHONES

Getting a cell phone in this country is a chore and keeping your cell phone turned on and working is a process in itself. Buying the actual phone is simple (by India standards that is...) but obtaining the sim card is another story. The only way to get a sim card for your phone is to have a residency permit. This is obtained through immigration (the place where there is a line to get in a line to get in another line and so on...)..... I think the application packet requires more signatures than buying a house. You must also provide: 2 passport size photos, copy of your visa and copy of your passport. Once the phones are activated, someone will call and verify that I really am Carlina Fiordilino.....if you are lucky enough to understand the person on the other end then you move to stage 2---a visit to your house where they verify once again that I am Carlina Fiordilino and I sign off on more paperwork. There are black out dates where the phones can't be used at all and if your phone isn't used at least once in a week it gets disconnected (this just happened) and the paperwork and lines to get it reactivated begin. Regardless of whether you can keep your phone working or not, a bill will be generated and mailed to you---on Indian time so don't expect regular billing cycles. It would be handy to pay the bill online---but? After 3 weeks I am still unable to access my local bank account online (that's another blog entry). Today I went directly to Airtell to pay my bill. I waited in a giant, sweaty line and was finally able to hand over my bills (my bill and Domenic's bill) totaling about 330 rupees ($7.50). The guy behind the counter jotted down 120 rupees on one bill and 120 rupees on the other. "That will be 240, please." I didn't even ask---just opened my wallet and pulled out some cash. I handed it over to the guy and he smiled and said, "over there....someone coming"....o, yes. I fogot......there is a separate line where you actually hand over the cash. I'll tell you what.....it really is very humerous and India has provided ample opportunities for laughter----and you know how I love to laugh!

3 comments:

  1. Are you sure you're just buying a cell phone and service; or are you really going through international adoption? LOL It sounds a lot alike! I hope you are doing well Carlina.
    Jolene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoorsy for a sense of humor--sounds like you are really going to be needing it! Sure enjoy reading of your adventures--much quicker than actually having them. :-)

    ReplyDelete